Tool Kits

David ilvedson ilvey@jps.net
Sat, 29 Aug 1998 00:13:05 +0000

List...

I am leading a technical next Tuesday, at our Bi-Monthly Chapter
meeting, on service kits.  i.e. what you typically bring into
the home or wherever when tuning/servicing a piano.  I am a
"lite tool kit" kind of quy and would be interested in hearing
from you folks on what you bring in your tool case.  If you
bring everything but the kitchen sink you won't be interesting
in listing it to the List, but if you have a "lite" kit what do
you pack?  Me first...

I have a mini Halliburton camera case, maybe 9" by 6", that I've
had for years lined with foam, which is getting ratty...

Wonderwand tuning hammer
Assorted rubber mutes with and without wire handles
Sheffield A440 fork
SAT II no extra switches i.e foot or handle
Small vicegrip
Small crescent
Tool roll with:
	Univ. handle
	2 straight Screwdriver blades, 2 Phillips
	key easer for just lifting the key and pushing key down on
	3 different angled damper benders/univ. handle
	Thin flat Spoon bender
	Hart spring tool
	Univ. capstan
	Yamaha capstan wrench (for square capstans)
	Dowel with the hole type capstan tool
	Drop screw tool
	Jewelers screwdrivers both type
	Brass tool for seating strings
	Big Straight plate, screwdriver blade for tuning hammer
	Small ruler
	False beat elimanator (which I may put in the big kit
	Spurlock micro-fine teflon powder/brush
 	Applicator filled with Protek
	Protek thick lube (like vaseline)
	Vegetable brush
	Elmers small bottle filled with yellow glue
	2 smaller Spurlock soundboard tools
	Boar bristle paint brush
	Hart string hook
	Hart voicing tool
	Key dip block
	Chris Gregg's hammer filing tool (which I've misplaced)
	Yamaha upright voicing tool in a plastic film canister

I think that's about it...

That tool kit and my vacuum is typically all I bring to a job.
Of course if I know a string is broken I bring along another
kit with wire and all the tools I'll need.  I have another
Jensen soft case filled with everything else I'll need for
repairs.

Thanks in advance...

David Ilvedson, RPT
Pacifica, CA