Broken Bass string

Roger Jolly baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Sat, 29 Aug 1998 15:47:48 -0600

Hi Avery,
         Swarf is the cuttings in metal work, created by drilling or
turning, some times they don't detach and hang to the drill hole in a
little curl or burr.  My creative English for lack of a better description.
When ever I restring the bass of a vertical piano, I take a small knife
edge file and clean out the corner from the pin and V bar.
 If you can think of a better description, I'm all ears. (smiling)
Regards Roger

At 03:24 PM 29/08/98 -0500, you wrote:
>Hi Roger,
>
>   I'm no doubt showing my ignorance here, but what is a "curl of swarf"?
>Sounds like something out of a Disney movie. :-)
>
>Avery
>
>>            A couple of suggestions, had an Everet with a similar problem
>>that was traced to the plate pins, when they were hammered in, a small curl
>>of swarf was found in the notch of the V bar and pin. If the V bar or pin
>>has a sharp edge, it can cause this kind of problem.   Setting the let off
>>to 3/16" can stop the breakage if the pianist is a pounder, the lost of ppp
>>control is not usually noticed by this type of player.
>>Regards Roger.
>>
>>Roger Jolly
>
>___________________________
>Avery Todd, RPT