Broken Bass string

Newton Hunt nhunt@jagat.com
Sun, 30 Aug 1998 09:54:46 -0400

Hi David,

You have a pounder here.

Further unregulate the piano.  Shorten the blow distance to about
1+1/4", set the let-off further back and adjust dip to provide a little
after touch and adjust the backchecks to check a little less than 1/2".
Do a couple of samples to see if there is enough damper movement with
the key to provide enough for tuning purposes.

I have had similar problems in night clubs and have solved the problem
this way.  ALso, I kept an extra set of strings in the bench and every
time a string broke I reordered that one.

I tuned in a similar situation and the minister said that the pianist
got real excited.  I suggested that the Bible says to sound the trumpet
and beat the drum, not beat the trumpet and sound the drums.  He did not
like that so much so I said that it is a sin to be destructive of church
property.  He liked that even less, but I made my points.  I never got a
call back on that one, thank the Lord.

Go and see.

        Newton