Yamaha out of tune

Ron Nossaman nossaman@SOUTHWIND.NET
Sun, 30 Aug 1998 21:17:19 -0500 (CDT)

>Thank you. Boy, I can't beleive I missed this.  I assume that like the
>Baldwin accu-hitch plates, you  can damage the plate if you tighten
>those rim bolts.
>
>Frank Cahill
>Associate Member
>Northern Va

Hold it, hold it, just a minute here. I've read a few posts to this effect,
and I'd like to take exception - pending meaningful clarification, or
demonstration. The point is that the bolts don't get loose in these systems
(even though it's not the bolts that get loose in the first place in a
conventional system, but the compression of the dowels/blocks/panel the
plate sets on that makes it appear so). Since they don't "get loose", they
don't need tightened. If you try to tighten them and they don't move,
wouldn't you stop trying to tighten them? If you insist on turning a plate
bolt that won't move, you could possibly twist the head off, but wouldn't
any tech with the basic sense God gave a rubber duck know better than to
force a piece of hardware to that extreme? If it won't move, isn't it
already tight????? How in the name of all that is definably reasonable could
the plate be damaged in this process? It's not being forced down by the
tightening, it's only being compressed under the bolt head. Any tech that
can crush a piano plate by compression under a bolt head by application of a
wrench of any conceivable flavor can have anything they want from me by the
simple act of looming overhead, tearing the limbs off a few trees, and
asking nicely. Yes sir Bud, here you go! Anything else? Sorry Frank, this
isn't aimed specifically at you, I would just like to see this kind of thing
cleared up before it passes into industry legend and the bumper stickers are
issued. After that happens, it's impossible to flush out.

For the record, pending REAL evidence to the contrary, you can't hurt the
Baldwin or Yamaha floating plate system by tightening the bolts, unless you
insist on tightening bolts that are already tight, which will most probably
always be the case in either of these plate mounting systems. Go forth and
leave 'em alone. That is all.

"I feel better now, Dave."
         - HAL 9000 -

 Ron