painted artwork on piano plates.

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Sun, 30 Aug 1998 22:24:12 EDT

<< Didn't I read
 somewhere that Steinway once employed one or more full time wood carvers to
 do legs?

 chris

A customer had a Steinway upright that had paintings on the front and sides,
and cherubims figurines on the end blocks. It was quit ornate. She donated it
to the New York Museum of Art, and got a large tax break for it. I had the
paintings analyzed by a curator at the art museum in St. Loius who told me the
paitings weren't anything out of the ordinary, but it was unsusual to find art
work on upright pianos.

Willem Blees