Loose Plate bolts = ?

A440A@aol.com A440A@aol.com
Mon, 31 Aug 1998 07:04:11 EDT

Ron wrote:
>I'd like someone to explain to
>>me how loose plate bolts adversely affect tuning stability. I don't see how
>>it could make a significant difference.

      For tuning stability, the rigidity of the case is a factor, as it
provides the anchor for the sound board.  Having that laminated case bolted to
a big piece of iron is going to change the way the case moves in response to
humidity.  Would not loose bolts allow more movement?
     What does string tension do to the case? ........ before removing the
tension prior to restringing,  tape a length of non-elastic material, ( I like
1/4" recording tape) from side to side, across the bottom of the piano, making
it just barely taut.  You may also want to place one across the belly of the
soundboard.
See what happens after the tension is let down!
Regards,
Ed Foote