Striking Point

Jerry Hunt jhunt@geocities.com
Mon, 31 Aug 1998 08:56:59 +0100

In the continuing saga of my first major overhaul (no "R" words here) -
an old upright - I am ready to install new hammers (Encores from
Brooks). Have removed the old hammers (except for end hammers of each
section), installed new flanges (applied denatured alcohol/water mixture
to loosen tight centers), travelled hammers, installed hammers to action
and put action back into piano.

The new flanges fit nicely, but I did notice that the distance from the
notch to the birdseye was slightly longer than the old flanges (perhaps
1/32"). Unfortunately, I didn't save any of the old flanges. So now I'm
concerned if this is going to throw the striking distance off? Reblitz
(which I refer to religiously) recommends striking distance of 1/7 of
speaking length. However, I measured speaking length of C88, calculated
1/7th and compared to the old hammer , and it is considerably off. Way
more than the slight difference in the new flanges, but looks reasonable
compared to what I am used to seeing on verticles; i.e. around 1/8"
below the v-bar.

I would appreciate any and all advice on  setting the stricking point.
Thanks again to all who have provided excellent advice along the way.

--
Jerry Hunt
Dallas, TX USA