Striking Point

Jim Coleman, Sr. pianotoo@imap2.asu.edu
Mon, 31 Aug 1998 07:49:02 -0700 (MST)

Hi Jerry:

The 1/7 ratio which you say Reblitz recommends is wrong for most pianos.
The general ratio is 1/8. However in the top treble, this changes gradually
to about 1/16. If you consider a 2" string at note 88, a 1/16 ratio
would give you about 1/8" distance from the V-bar to the strike point. My
empirical studies have shown that close to 3/32" is a better strike point.

Jim Coleman, Sr.