Disability Insurance

Jeff Tanner jtanner@mozart.music.sc.edu
Wed, 16 Dec 1998 11:16:13 -0500

>I'm interested in what kind of disability insurance, if any, some of you might
>be using.  Is the PTG program the best coverage and rate or are there better
>ones out there?  I think social security pays some benefits in the event that
>you become unable to work.  Is it enough to get by?
>David Porter
>St. Louis, MO

Hi David,
The Social Security Benefits, IF YOU CAN GET THEM, are absolutely not
enough to get by on.  It is EXTREMELY difficult to qualify -- many have to
apply several times before receiving benefits, and then it usually takes
hiring a lawyer to get it through.  They give you just enough to live at a
very minimum standard.  Though the amount is related to your prior salary,
I believe there is a cap.  Thus, the market for disability insurance.  It
is designed to be a supplement to Social Security so you can't get more if
disabled than before, but at least if you've got the coverage, the
government can't decide for you whether or not you're able to work and at
what standard of living.  I used to be a licensed Life/Health/Accident
insurance agent, but the company I represented didn't have a very
good/competitive product for disability, so I really didn't push it or get
that familiar with the market.  However, I did learn that a person is 7
times more likely to become disabled than to die prematurely.  Disability
insurance, especially in our field, I think, is well worth the investment.
Sorry I can't answer your question about which is best, but shop around.
Read a couple of policies and see what you're getting.  The reading
shouldn't be that difficult.  I think most states now require simple
language in the contract.  Just like any other type of insurance, it
doesn't take long to learn what you can get.

Luckily for me, disability insurance is offered in my package of state
benefits.  I do have to contribute, but I selected the highest levels of
coverage.

Best wishes and Happy Holidays,
Jeff

Jeff Tanner, Piano Technician