Band Saws

Fri, 18 Dec 1998 08:17:51 -0800

At the risk of going against the grain here, I've never been much of a
multi-purpose tool fan.  Also, with few exceptions, I'm not a fan of aluminum
framed power tools.  (About the only exception to both of these rules has been
the Inca jointer/planer, which does a good job of both jointing and planing.)

For the small piano shop I still think  that one of the best band saws around is
the Delta 14" machine.  It is the machine that most of the import band saws have
attempted to copy.  It is fairly heavy, well made, powerful -- especially if you
get it with a 3/4 hp motor -- etc.  It runs smoothly and quietly.  It cuts up to
6" stock with a 14" throat.  With the proper blade it cuts through pinblocks like
they were warm butter.  And it pretty much lasts forever.

Del