"Womens Steinway"

JIMRPT@aol.com JIMRPT@aol.com
Sun, 1 Feb 1998 15:52:39 EST

<< if we have two hammers made
by the same process and one is hardened by lacquer and the other by
Supertone, will the lacquered hammer have a mellower sound?>>

Dan;
 The answer to your question is very straightforward...it depends :-)
It depends on the strength of solution/suspension.
It depends on point(s) of application.
It depends on amount applied.
It depends on the number of applications.
  So the real answer is.......... it depends.  In my experience the laquer
will continue hardening for a long time whereas the Supertone (I am assuming
you are speaking of the keytop/acetone mixture) reaches relative stability
much faster.
  The question, asked in the way you asked it, is rather like asking for a
"piece" of string.  In my opinion, if the mixtures are equal in relationship
to their qualities, the laquered hammer will have the mellower sound, at least
initially.
Did I address the question correctly?
Jim Bryant (FL)