Ancient Greek Music

Anne Beetem abeetem@wizard.net
Mon, 2 Feb 1998 08:25:04 -0500

O.K. O.K.  so we don't know what it sounded like,   we don't have all our
background,   I'm swamped enough I don't feel like digging through all my
issues of the American Musical Instrument Society Journals or the Galpin
Society Journals to back myself up,  but I think we can assume correctly
that there was music in Greek society, yes?    Also,   we do know that the
Phyrgian mode was considered rather scandalous and licentious in comparison
to the Dorian mode,  which inspired reflection.  Now, doesn't Plato have
something to say on this subject?   I'm way too busy this week to look into
it.  Surely one of you knows this quickly......Stephen?

ab

Anne Beetem
Harpsichords & Historic Pianos
2070 Bingham Ct.