Brass plating

Vanderhoofven dkvander@clandjop.com
Tue, 03 Feb 1998 02:00:24 -0600

At 07:51 AM 2/2/98 -0500, you wrote:
>Hi list,
>     Can anyone recommend someone who is doing brass plating?  I contacted
>one of the re-platers listed in the Journal.  They wanted $80.00 to do the
>two small caps that fit on the top of player pedals. Is this standard
>minimum now?  None of my local platers want to touch this kind of small
>"over the counter" job.  Hmmmmm. Maybe I should start doing it myself?  Any
>help?
>
>Thanks,
>Bob Sadowski
>Erie, PA

Dear Bob,

One of my customers had a solid brass pedal that had a hole worn through
from heavy use.  After I took the lyre off and removed the pedals, he took
the pedal and had someone (perhaps a welder) braze the pedal to fill the
worn spot.  After the buffing and polishing, the brazed part almost matched
the original brass.  Almost matching was good enough for my customer.  I
have no idea if the person doing the brazing can try to match the color any
better.

Sincerely,
David Vanderhoofven