voicing Steinway L

Les Smith lessmith@buffnet.net
Tue, 3 Feb 1998 20:59:53 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 3 Feb 1998 Wimblees@aol.com wrote:

> Lance:
>
> Sometimes, a customer will psych herself right into wanting too much, without
> really understanding, or knowing what she wants. I would suggest that you
> exhange a couple of hammers, and see if she notices. Exchange the C and C# and
> the B and Bb, and see if she can tell a difference.

Reminds me of the story of the top NYC refinisher who was called into a
customer's home to handle a problem with an end table. At either end of
a large sofa were identical end tables, except that one had a white
water mark on it. Telling the customer that the repair would take about
an hour, the customer replied that she would go out for a while and re-
turn at the end of an hour. Removing the water mark and polishing the end
table took only a few minutes. Knowing, however, that the lady was one of
those customers who was always hard to please, the refinisher SWITCHED the
end table he had just repaired with the undamaged one at the other end of
the sofa. As he suspected, when the lady returned, she closely scrutinized
what she thought was the touched-up end table, but was really the
undamaged one from the other end of the sofa and commented "You did a
good job-- the watermark is ALMOST invisible. I, of course, can still see
where it was, but most other people won't"! Some customers just won't be
happy unless they can find fault where none exists!

Les Smith