Ed Foote's CD Review

Anne Beetem abeetem@wizard.net
Fri, 6 Feb 1998 10:23:40 -0500

EF writes:

    One thing that does concern me is that the intention of our project may be
>misunderstood.   I am not attempting to promote the modern piano as the only
>way to play this music,  I am trying to improve the music we hear.

  I understand precisely what you are getting at, and I believe it is
important.  I see no problem with concert artists tailoring their programs
and tunings.   When I tune harpsichords for music teachers (rare, but
existing)  I ask what music they are teaching, and we tune accordingly.
Why shouldn't it be the same for pianos?    Most players, not all of
course,   are somewhat restrictive in their repertoire choice.  Give them
what suits their taste.  Some play nearly all romantic,, some classical,
some baroque,  some Debussy,  some 20th century pop (which is better in
W.T. btw generally).

E.T. is a compromise over all music.  What is different from tuning in a
W.T. which improves much of the late 18th and all the 19th century
repertoire?   For that matter,  very little of the 20th century material
suffers from it.

Have a menu.  Open their ears,   so long closed because of the enforcement
of E.T. as ,  I was amazed to hear the concept applied to piano tuning
expectations,  common law!

>   Comparisons of the fortepianos to the Steinway D are difficult to do,  they
>both have strengths and weaknesses for any given piece of music.  It is a fact
>that the dearth of fortepianos requires that modern instruments be used for
>the majority of perfomance, so my approach is "how best to use them?".  It was
>my conclusion that using the more era-specific tuning would be an improvement
>over modern ET.  This is not to say that the instrument is a total improvement
>in every respect.

Boy,  wouldn't it be great if we could all have a fortepiano, or two or
three, a couple harpsichords,  and a really really fine grand,  and a big
tall turn of the century upright for rags, too,  wouldn't that be great!
Oh,  don't forget the clavichord for practicing on the road....

>   I suppose the question is,  is classical music performed on modern pianos
>improved by WT?  I think it is, thus, I have "put my money where my ears are".

The answer is YES!

>    Until we have more instruments that are authentic in their sound, ( keep
>those saws running, Stephen!!(:)}} we will be forced to use the modern
>counterparts.  Is it not plausible that an increased awareness and
>appreciation of the sound of the older tunings could help increase the desire
>and pursuit of the older instruments from which they arose?
>Regards,
>Ed Foote

So,, hey where are all the patrons,  huh?       We're trying here, aren't
we, Stephen!

Best Regards,   AB

Anne Beetem
Harpsichords & Historic Pianos