Warped keys

Richard Moody remoody@easnet.net
Fri, 6 Feb 1998 23:41:33 -0600

In case the key tops are tilted because of warping, dry heat and
bending is the option.  The heat from an electric stove works pretty
good.  Clamp to a strong  board.  It might take two operations, so
charge accordingly, and it cannot be guaranteed.  If it warped once
who can say, and is an uncommon job.   I don't think you need steam.
Steam is for radical bends this is  a slight bend.  Kind of like
burning in hammers. I have done one key with dry heat, and seemed to
get the job done. I told them to call as soon as it rubbed again.
Almost two years later they haven't.
	But if the keytops are not tilted, by all means sand,grind, file, or
 plane.

R Moody

----------
> From: Lance Lafargue <lafargue@iAmerica.net>
> To: pianotech@ptg.org
> Subject: Re: Warped keys
> Date: Friday, February 06, 1998 2:45 PM
>
> I'm not sure that steaming/rewarping would be permanent.  I usually
use a
> small hand plane sander to remove wood.
> New Orleans Chapter
> Covington, LA.
> lafargue@iamerica.net
>
> ----------
> > From: Christopher D. Purdy <purdy@oak.cats.ohiou.edu>
> > To: pianotech@ptg.org
> > Subject: Warped keys
> > Date: Saturday, February 07, 1998 12:31 AM
> >
> > Hello List,
> >
> > I have a piano in my care that has developed two severely warped
keys,
> > adjacent to each other and warping opposite directions. (go
figure, kind
> of
> > reminds me of David Letterman's smile) My first response is to
"un" warp
> > them with dry heat  like we do hammer shanks.  I seem to
remember,
> though,
> > someone teaching the use of steam in this case.  Your input would
be
> > appreciated.  Some of the students here are more annoyed than
usual.

> > Thanks,
> >
> > chris
> >
> > -Christopher D. Purdy R.P.T.   School of Music  Ohio University
Athens