Pressure cooker bushing removal

BSimon1234@aol.com BSimon1234@aol.com
Sun, 8 Feb 1998 09:10:31 EST

Richard Moody wrote:

<< I like the pressure cooker idea and will try that next time. I can envision
a jig to hold a key to the steam while removing the bushings from the key just
heated.  But what to use for optional add on tube? >>

I have used a type of pressure cooker  device for years.  Jigs are not
generally used because the steam works so fast. Generally in 3-4 seconds the
job is done enough to pull the felt or leather, or player cloth off of
whatever was put into the steam - and then the thing dries out almost
instantly. Leaving a key in a jig would way oversaturate the wood.

Be real careful about adding on a "tube" to your cooker. I have tried steam
tubes, lines, hoses, and such on player restoration to remove fabrics, and
they are problematic. The biggest problem with doing so is that condensation
occurs rapidly in the tube and is driven out by steam, producing splatters of
water, which you actually do not want on the piece or running down the tube
onto your hand, etc. ( The water is boiling hot, 212 degrees, burns you in a
flash. )  The very best idea would be to use the original venting top. It is
so short and near the cooker that condensatin does not occur, and it blasts
the steam plenty far to do work. Alternatively, you might drill and tap into
the cover and install graduated diameter piping, with the last bit being quite
short. Just never use it as a "pressure" cooker again. It would be horribly
unsafe.

Bill Simon
Phoenix