replacing back

Sun, 08 Feb 1998 15:39:28 -0800

Wimblees@aol.com wrote:

> >       I am curious as to what type of saw I am going to need (an industrial
> >powered sabre saw with a 6" blade sounds logical to me) and what type of
> >glue should be used for gluing the new back to the existing case sides
>
> You don't need a saw. You need a big chissle and a large hammer. The sides of
> the case are glued to the back assembly, and all you have to do is loosen the
> glue joints. I have done this several times, and it is not difficult as it
> sounds. The hardest part is getting the case glued on the new back. Be sure to
> line everything up before you clamp it down.
>
> Good luck
>
> Willem Blees  RPT
> St. Louis

Depends on how good a job the factory did when gluing on the sides. And it depends on what
the sides of the piano are made of.

I've taken a few older uprights apart using the hammer & chisel routine, but modern pianos
with good glue joints and, shall we say, the somewhat less than robust panel stock used in
their sides, can be a bit trickier to get apart. Those sides split awfully easy.

So, good luck again.

Del