Some peoples' ET more equal than others

Michael Jorgensen Michael.Jorgensen@cmich.edu
Mon, 09 Feb 1998 14:54:54 +0000

Hello List,
    To further complicate this discussion, some pianos' ET is more equal
than others! These problems also affect the HTs.  One could argue, which
is truly equal? when the beat speeds all ascend to appear like ET or
when the fundamentals are in ET!  I think this is where tuning is an
"art" and cannot be strictly described according to common law.   There
may be several different ET tunings that could "work" on a real piano
all with different compromises.  Thus tuners like artists choose
according to subjective things which inturn affect their reputations.
    Our guild tuning test uses a good 6'grand or better, but it doesn't
test what is done on a typical small vertical.   When a concert spec
sheet asks for ET we should give ET (according to the best ET the piano
will allow), as in this case we are serving another artist.  In private
business IMHO think there is more latitude and perhaps an HT is not a
violation of common law but a choice we could make as an artist. (if
tuning is an art)  Remember also that some (most) pianos simply can't be
tuned to ET or at best only to mildly resemble an ET because of scaling
problems.  Maby according to common law all of these should be returned
to their factories as defective musical instruments. Just some thoughts.
-Mike Jorgensen.