Acceptable levels of error

John McKone mckonejw@SKYPOINT.COM
Mon, 9 Feb 1998 16:05:17 -0500

> If a Valotti/Young is not perfectly
>accurate but can still function satisfactorily, so can an ET with the same
>level of error, I think.
>
>Bob Davis

What do we mean by accurate in HT's?

No one KNOWS what a Valotti/Young sounded like in its day.  After all, all
we have (someone please correct me if I'm wrong) are some fairly loosely
worded instructions from the period, that don't approach the accuracy
available with VTD's and advanced aural tests.  The instructions have been
meticulously interpreted for us by Dr. Jorgensen, whose scholarship cannot
be assailed, but in the end, what most of us would call a Valotti/Young, is
based on this one 20th century interpretation, and tuned by methods not
available when the tuning was in wide use. (I believe that may be the
longest sentence I've ever written)

Please understand that I am a fan of both Owen Jorgensen, and of HT's.  I
also see advantages to standardization of HT's so that when a performer
asks for "Young", he/she gets something that is pretty close to the same in
every venue.  If we have standard rules for HT's and they are consistently
applied with the same accuracy as ET, then we might find less resistance in
the marketplace.

That being said, its seems to me that we should be aware that we are using
20th century methodologies to attempt a 17th/18th/19th century craft.

So I guess the gist of all this is that by "accurate" you mean "accurate to
the Jorgensen standard"

Just some random thoughts...

John McKone, RPT
St. louis Park, Minnesota