Overcharge?

Lance Lafargue lafargue@iAmerica.net
Tue, 10 Feb 1998 21:37:41 -0600

I say charge anything you like as long as it's remotely close to the
competition.
Customer should make a face, but pay to have you back.  If they pay without
the face, you're too cheap.  If they get really angry you may be too high.
Three people in the last few days have commented that I am too cheap @
$40/hr.  Have someone call them (competition) and find out what their fees
are.  Do that every year or so.  Then you will know if the irate husband is
lying.  You are lucky to get out with the $70. Reminding the customer
before starting is the smart thing to do but I admit I don't ALWAYS
remember to do it either.  Almost all of my business is referrals, so my
customers are usually prepared and glad to have me.   I understand your
concern, but chalk it up to an experience that could have cost you more.
The husband could have been home and you would have had to use your voicing
tool on him, or even your key easing pliers.  It could have been really
ugly...

Lance Lafargue, RPT
New Orleans Chapter
Covington, LA.
lafargue@iamerica.net

----------
> From: Pianotoone@aol.com
> To: pianotech@ptg.org
> Subject: Overcharge?
> Date: Tuesday, February 10, 1998 3:50 PM
>
> I live in a town in Michigan with a population of 7000, but do most of my
work
> in a neighboring town with a population of about 70,000
>
> Recently I was called to service a piano which was 1/2 step or more flat.
>
> When the lady originally called me she asked me what the cost would be
and she
> mentioned that the piano had not been tuned in some time.   I told her a
> standard tuning fee was $60.00 and if the pitch had to be raised there
would
> be an additional fee of $40.00.
>
> When I got to her home, explained that her piano was indeed way flat,
showed
> her the numbers on my trust SAT and explained that although I recommended
it,
> it was not absolutely imperative to have the piano brought to pitch.  She
said
> go ahead.
>
> When I finished she said her husband had only given her $70.00 because
that's
> what she thought it would be.  I told her fine.  Just give me the $70.00
and
> mail the rest to me ASAP.  I also told her that she would need anothe
tuning
> in about a month and that would cost $60.00.  But if she had her piano
tuned
> at least once a year after that she should not have any more problems
like the
> above.
>
> Today her husband called me very irate and told me he had explained the
> situation to several other piano tuners in the area and they said the
maximum
> for any pitch raise/tuning call would be $65.00  And furthermore if they
had
> to come back in a month that call would cost $30.00.
>
> I know for a fact that the closest tuner to this client other than me is
25-35
> miles away.
>
> I have already written this guy off as a client, because in over 12 years
of
> this kind of work, this was the first time my fees have been criticized.
As a