pianotech-digest V1997 #559

Colette Collier 73023.1551@CompuServe.COM
Wed, 11 Feb 1998 07:24:41 -0500

Regarding settting fees:

The late, great Willard Sims used to say:  "You have to know what it costs
to run your business.  Otherwise, you won't know what to charge."  I
suggest to all that each person's fee is the result of the decision they
make individually about what the cost is for their particular
service--based on the area, experience, skill, expenses, and service
performed.  While it's nice to have the additional information about what
other people charge, it's also, to some extent,  irrelevant.

I usually repond to questions about my fee with something like:  "That's
what it costs to contract my services.  Every technician sets their own
fees.  And every technician provides a different kind of service."  If
someone is questioning the cost exclusively, I'm happy to suggest that they
keep looking--they might find someone who will do it for what they want to
pay.  Or they can feel free to call me back later.  (But  they'll get what
they pay for.)

Colette Collier, RPT

PS- if you think the husband treated you badly, imagine how he treated his
wife.  Not the kind of people I like to do business with.  If you never
take a job you can't afford to eat, you can walk away from this one happier
than if they were still part of your clientele.