PES - Was:Re: Verdigris (resent)

Thu, 12 Feb 1998 12:34:18 -0600

Hi Karen!

Beautiful day isn't it?

>Okay, I can't resist.  What IS dampp chaser under plastic elbow syndrome?
>
>Karen Johnson

Many consumer oriented spinets (such as Lester's Betsy Ross Spinet) built in
the late 40's and 50's and using plastic elbows also had a dampp-chaser rod
factory installed on the underside of the action support rail.

These did not, however, have a humidistat.  Many owners would plug the thing
in and leave it plugged in for years.  As a consequence, the plastic in the
elbows directly above the rod degraded faster than the others.

When you go to replace a set of them you find that often the ones over the
rod just crumble and fall completely off the centerpin, those on the ends
many times seem just as good as new.

Them's is the symptoms. The syndrome would be akin to the Law of Unintended
Consequences where solving one problem will cause at least one new one.

Conrad

Conrad Hoffsommer		Office - (319) 387-1204
Acoustic Keyboard Technician - Luther College
700 College Drive, Decorah, Iowa 52101-1045
hoffsoco@martin.luther.edu -or- pno2ner@salamander.com

If I had multiple personality disorder, my resume would make more sense.