digital pianos and temperments

Steven D. Majewski sdm7g@virginia.edu
13 Feb 98 16:31:09 -0500

All of the discussion of temperments inspired me to pick up a
very good book I found browsing in the bookstore:

Lies My Music Teacher Told Me : Music Theory for Grownups
by Gerald  Eskelin

[ I got it locally at Barnes&Noble for $14.95 -- you can save $2.99 and
get it from

<http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ISBN%3D1886209111/readqqcombooks04A/3483-0850188-572451>
but you'll probably pay it again in shipping. ]

Mr. Eskelin teaches music theory and choral singing, and coaches the
Los Angeles Jazz Choir. He has many comments on temperments -- he
happens to believe that many beginning singers have been ruined by
learning with piano accompaniment. ( He does note that one of the
basics a good accompanist learns is  NOT to play the melody behind
the singer, so as not to tempt the singer to follow his pitch. )

I don't know if advocates of HT can mine any useful ammunition from
this book. It *IS* a good explaination, but clearly no HT comes close
to  what Mr. Eskelin would like to see, which would be a complete
*dynamic* temperment -- i.e. a keyboard that does what a good singer
or string player does -- changes the pitch of notes depending on their
immediate harmonic role.

Does anyone happen to know if this has been done on any digital keyboards ?

Are there any dynamic tuning MIDI programs for keyboad ?

( BTW: is there an archive of HT MIDI programs on the net somewhere ? )

- Steve Majewski