a different piano design...

Peter KESTENS KESTENS.P@Debcom.be
Tue, 17 Feb 1998 10:01:38 +0100

    Van: Delwin D Fandrich <pianobuilders@olynet.com>
    Aan: pianotech@ptg.org <pianotech@ptg.org>
    Datum: zondag 15 februari 1998 23:37
    Onderwerp: Re: a different piano design...
   =20
    Mike Swendsen wrote:=20
   =20
     Del:About 7 or 8 years ago I played a wonderful guitar that had a =
carbon graphite top.  The tone was powerful and warm.  Really a delight =
to listen to and to play.   I often thought since then that it would =
probably be quite possible to build soundboard including bridges and =
ribs out of carbon graphite/boron graphite etc..  ( some new composite =
material)  Everything could be built-up or cast as necessary or as =
designed, I'm sure there a re fewer construction restrictions with the =
new materials than with spruce.  And it would be absolutely =
water/humidity resistant. ( No seasonal tuning changes due to humidity =
changes)If it could be made to sound as good as that guitar sounded, who =
knows?=20
        C. Mike Swendsen  RPT
            -----------------------------------------=20
    Mike,=20
   =20
    There are several materials available today that would probably make =
good piano soundboards. Take a look at the patent files. I've worked =
with only a couple of them, and those only enough to probably be =
dangerous. That is to say, I'm not ready to give up on Sitka spruce =
quite yet.=20
   =20
    There are a number of problems facing the brave soul who first tries =
to market a piano with a composite -- or whatever -- soundboard. Most of =
those problems will have to do with convincing the technical community =
that they will really work. No matter that this board may appear in the =
best sounding piano the world has ever seen.=20
   =20
    Del=20
     =20
   =20