Bechstein plate cracks

Douglas K. Rhodes drhodes@ISLANDNET.COM
Tue, 17 Feb 1998 16:20:38 -0800

I am researching repair feasability for an 1891 Bechstein 6' 8" grand that
has three cracks in the plate. It is one of at least three Bechstein grands
with cracked plates in this region (Vancouver Island, British Columbia,
Canada). The series of articles on this subject in the Piano Technicians
Journals (Dec 1996, Feb & Mar 1997) by Bob Hohf, RPT, were thoughtful and
informative. However, I am not entirely convinced that Bob's analysis of
the cause of the cracks is correct, and my initial consultations with a
highly qualified mechanical engineer suggest that so-called cold-welding of
the cracks will almost certainly guarantee future failure.

Are there any of you out there who have tackled the Bechstein
plate/pinblock problem? Are there any who would like to help me open the
can of worms regarding cold-welding vs. pre-heating/oxyacetylene welding,
etc.? I'd appreciate any comments.

Doug Rhodes, RPT
Victoria, BC
Canada