I wish to raise a point...

Norman Barrett barre46@ibm.net
Wed, 18 Feb 1998 23:24:38 -0600

Hi Paul,

I probably should not mention this as it is embarrassing but you might find it
interesting if not amusing. When I was first starting out I was tuning an old
upright that was about 150 cents flat. This was before the SAT would offset
that far so I was trying to bring it up to 440 by interpolation. Some how I did
something wrong and wound up bring it 100 cents sharp. This should be A = 465.
Not a single string broke and everybody loved the way the piano sounded, (this
was in a store). It was later sold to a customer whose children were taking
Suzuki lessons so I had to bring it back down to 440. It was interesting that
when this was accomplished, the bass, which was very tubby or dead before I
started, sounded quite normal. It may not be possible to ever do this again and
I am not going to find out but I do not fear bringing a piano to pitch because
of breaking strings. This has nothing to do with A 435 or A 440 but just for
your information to keep in the back of your mind.

Norm Barrett
Memphis,  TN