Refinishing listserv?

Les Smith lessmith@buffnet.net
Thu, 19 Feb 1998 00:45:05 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 18 Feb 1998 PatWilbur@aol.com wrote:

> I seem to recall having seen, on pianotech, a reference to a listserv and/or
> web site about refinishing. If I kept a copy, it's gone missing now.
>
> Could someone please post that again? Thanks.
>
> Pat Wilbur
> Fort Worth, TX

Pat-- There is a high-traffic newsgroup called rec.woodworking which
covers all aspects of the subject, including finishing and refinishing.
As the environmentalists are increasingly getting their way and many
once-common products are no longer available and being replaced with
"environmentally-friendly" substitutes, or reformulations, older books
on the subject are rapidly growing out-of-date. RW is one way of keep-
ing pace with what's going on, technologically-speaking. The newsgroup
covers a wide range of topics, and generally welcomes questions from
newcomers who have taken the time to read the FAQ. (always a good
idea!) Other techs can probably point you in the direction of addition-
al on-line resources as well. Books, videos, etc. can take you only so
far. The best way of learning the subject is to be able to work along-
side an experienced pro. Many techs choose to concentrate on piano work
and farm out their refinishing work to full-time pros. When I was doing
rebuilding and restoration work, virtually all my refinishing went to two
old pros who spent many years honing their skills while working at the
now-defunct Kittinger Furniture Company. I did what I did best, they did
what they did best, and the customer was invariably pleased with the
results. BTW, the relationship worked BOTH ways. When someone came to them
with a piano to be refinished, they would send them to me for the piano
work. It's an option you might want to consider.

Les Smith