Touch weight and re-busing action centers

Richard Moody remoody@easnet.net
Fri, 20 Feb 1998 00:09:18 -0600

----------
> From: Keith McGavern <kam544@ionet.net>
> To: pianotech@ptg.org
> Subject: Re: Touch weight and re-busing action centers
> Date: Thursday, February 19, 1998 2:10 PM
>
> Part of Jerry Hunt's post:
> My question: in measuring down/up weight, is that with
> >the dampers lifted?...
>
> Yes.
>
> Keith A. McGavern

Sometimes it is worth noting the difference between pedal down and
pedal up. Esp in cases of excessive friction in the damper action.
Which is why I wonder why two down weights are never given. Also
place the 54 or 56 gram weight on a piano with dampers down.  I
believe you will find the keys will dip even before the dampers are
raised.  When showing the owners or players the touch weight I always
showed how the weight affected the keys before and after the dampers
were raised. Of course you must know what the manufacturer recomends.
 One manuel I have shows three different weights for 2 diff actions
and 2 periods of time of manufacture.
R. Moody