Broken Strings

PDtek@aol.com PDtek@aol.com
Fri, 20 Feb 1998 23:15:20 EST

>	Dear List;
>	It would be appreciated if you could discuss how you approach the subject
>of Broken
>	String, for example. When tuning a string breaks. How do you handle the
>cost to repair
>	the string? Is the cost explained before you begin? How about strings that
>are rusted,
>	and might break? Pitch raise?
>	Thanks in advance
>	Arthur

Except for a piano like the one in a recent post that was tuned 100 cents
sharp >:-) , broken strings are not the fault of the tuner and the customer
should bear the cost of replacement. If the strings are rusty, if I can see
evidence of string replacement in the past, or a pitch raise is needed, I
always warn the customer of the possibility of broken strings and that they
will have to pay for the repair. This way there are no misunderstandings when
it happens. (Strings usually only break on the rare occasion that I forget to
run my disclaimer). Of course, even a brand new piano on pitch can throw a
wire. Fortunately, my customers have always been understanding and paid for
the replacement.

While we are on the subject, I would be curious to know what others do with a
broken plain wire, reuse the wire or replace it? Do you charge for return
trips to retune the string? Mute it till next tuning? How about bass strings?
Do you use universal bass strings and on what quality of piano?

As for myself, I replace plain wire, tuning it sharp to pre-stretch and then
tuning to just a couple beats sharp. I may mute it if the situation is non-
critical and I am a long way from the customer. I try to stop by at least once
when in the area to retune the string. I carry universals, but I don't like to
use them. Usually just for old uprights because the strings almost never match
well enough to get a clean unison. Getting a new string made means another
service call or two. Its hard to charge enough to really make the process cost
effective. I've tied a few new leaders on the old wire but it seems like I
never have enough wire to work with.
Anyway, just some thoughts.

Dave Bunch