Hummers

Anne Beetem abeetem@wizard.net
Sat, 21 Feb 1998 08:51:58 -0500

Dear Ralph,

>I'm delighted to learn of your interest in both the hummer and our 10th
>century music.
>You may also be pleased to note that this will entail no mention of an HT
>since we are working with only one diatonic scale.

A most reasonable solution.   Particularly simplifies tuning.

>The hummer played in only one key: F#! This was largely due to our
>natural bent for perversion. You must also realize that this period
>preceeded the Christian era in Ireland and that we were practicing
>Druids. You are probably already aware that Druidism was a religion quite
>similar to the Native American religions . That is, it was based on
>nature and overseen by mother earth. Thus, we borrowed only sounds from
>nature to arrive at our music

Well understood.   I have both Celtic and Native American blood.

>The bagpipe drone, punctuating the on beat by being played just slightly
>in advance of the on beat represented the deep moan of a cow in heat ( or
>season as we say).
>The bodhran represented the rather solid sound of a skull being hit with
>a foreign object during a mild disagreement.

Now, this all sounds like a story made up over a couple of pints, you know.

>The music produced by the upper levers or keys very nearly approximated
>the sounds heard on the next morning after imbibing in too much whiskey.
>The music form was the original jig played in a minor mode as a form of
>atonement for the previous evening's hell-raising.
>
>I hope I have painted an adequate mental picture of my fine, genteel,
>peace-loving
> ancestors and the profound thoughts that created the work of excellence
>called the Hummer.
>
>Some mornings I feel like a throw-back and can actually hear these jigs
>reverberating in my mind and I begin to hum them. I am, however,
>extremely displeased when some neighbors, oblivious to the fineries in
>life, call the police. They obviously have no cultural bent.

None whatsoever, no appreciation of the historic nature of the tunes, or
the spirit(s) and joy and sorrow of life within it.

Thanks, thanks, thanks Ralph.

Anne

Anne Beetem
Harpsichords & Historic Pianos