..setting up shop..

JIMRPT JIMRPT@aol.com
Sat, 28 Feb 1998 10:22:11 EST

Phil;
  Lighting, even temporary lighting , is important as you said. Since you
describe your new shop as "temporary" than the lighting should be too.
  The actual area I do my work in is aprox the size you describe and over the
years I have put in several lighting fixtures that are nice to have but that I
could live without.  The only fixtures that I 'could not' live without are two
8' fluorescent strips.  I mounted both these, two lamp, 8' fixtures on  8'
2x4s, then hung them, with baling wire, from the rafters at about  9' above
the floor.  They are plugged into the one pre-existing light fixture.  I
intially hung them 12 feet apart and centered in the shop but since have
offset them so that the lighted area is larger and there is less shadowing
when I am not in the exact center of the shop.  Putting the fixtures up in
this manner will allow you to move when the time comes without going into the
expense of rewiring.
 As for the work bench you might want to consider using a pre-laminated
counter top from Home Depot, or some such place. These are available with and
without backsplashes.  Advantages for using this type counter/benchtop are; 1.
relatively inexpensive.  2. durable 'flat', 'even' surface.  3. can be
supported by just an inexpensive frame. (you can attach drawers, shelves, etc.
to the frame as desired at any time.
  If you had two benches...............  I would have one with a backsplash to
use in a fixed location(buffing, sanding, general woodworking,
etc.)........get the 24" wide type, and one without a backsplash to use as a
move around (action work, regulation, installation, etc.).  Mount both on
casters and they will be much more efficient,  make sure that you use at least
two locking casters on the flat move around bench. :-)
Hope this will give you some ideas.
 Jim Bryant (FL)