Buzzer's problem

antares antares@EURONET.NL
Wed, 28 Jan 1998 15:50:30 +0000

SERGIO BRUNELLO wrote:

>     I decide to change all the middle-treble sector's strings with the
> right string size and to make smooth the capo bar underface. The
> bridge's string pressur was correct (by my knowledge; please can you
> give me this pressur information so I can compare if mine are correct
> ?).After the restringing and tuning, I cheked the hammers striking
> point that was correct.All this work was useless the duplex scale
> still buzzers.I tryed with a more soft voicing, a little better but
> not enough.So at the end I decided for what I wanted to do. I puted a
> felt strip among the duplex scale's strings. OK the buzzer stopped but
> the sound falled in brightness. Associated with the more soft voicing
> the sector is no comparable with the others.I am displeased with the
> work's results. Someone have already had this probelm ? There are some
> more or better work to do?

  Antares writes:

Hello Sergio,
How nice to have more fellow Europeans on this international forum!
Welcome!

I can not say very much about your problem, except, that in most cases
the so called (infamous) Steinway buzz can usually be treated by doing
thorough regulation, tapping the strings on several points, leveling the
unisons, tuning, fitting the hammer heads to the strings, and finally a
real good voicing.

Even with brand new Steinway grands this problem is sometimes already
noticeable from the very beginning!

Also, in most cases, we can solve the problem by the procedure I just
described, and sometimes....we can not adequately solve it, and then
we're stuck.
But I would first try more of the same.

Arriverderci!

Antares