Reply to Rob S-V

WPRB@aol.com WPRB@aol.com
Mon, 1 Jun 1998 22:11:06 EDT

Hi Rob, I appreciate your comments back.  I realize not every customer
will just hand you a blank check (wouldn't that be nice!). But I feel that
I do a disservice if I don't take the time to explain the conditions I'm
encountering, and both the current predicament as well as long-term
deterioration.  Then it's up to them.  One thing that really seems to bug
customers is when they learn more about piano care, and wonder
"why didn't anyone else ever tell me this?"  Once they know, they are
free to make a decision to do it as you recommend or not.  But at least
you know you've given it your best shot.
The tools we have today for pitch-correction are truly marvelous, as are
some of the older techniques used before we had such accurate
technology (many of which I use).  I'd vote Doc in for sainthood.
I'm not familiar with other machines.
Your method of hanging the damp cloth on the stat worked for you -
simply blowing into the sensor area will do the same thing.  And for
the opposite, you can dry the sensor area with anything handy (except
a torch gun).  Another possibility just for knowing that the opposite
components of what's on are working is to switch the plugs to the
opposite sides.  But for testing that stat's cycling, what you did was
just the ticket.  Do you have a test light?
As for the under-keybed rod touching the player's legs, no, I've never
had a complaint on it.  I have tried myself to sit in such a
position that my legs would reach the rod, and it was impossibly
awkward.  I install that rod all the way back, just in front of the lyre.
And if someone had legs long enough to make that a problem, you
might need two shorties with a gap in between.  I can't imagine it.
Hope this helps.  Call anytime.  Ruth