Taming the 1098

Norm Barrett barre46@ibm.net
Tue, 02 Jun 1998 01:11:21 -0500

Hi Susan,

The secret of using the impact hammer is like many other tools, let the hammer
do the work. If you have the Mahafey hammer, place the tip all the way on the
tuning pin and holding the tip loosely swing the weighted handle with your thumb
and allow it to bump. This does take some practice but you can learn to move the
tuning pin in extremely tiny increments. Personally,  I feel that if the pins
are quite loose or very tight, the impact hammer is very difficult to control
but in most normal tuning it is most exacting.

Norm Barrett