More Scaling Questions

Robert B Edwardsen edwardsn@rpa.net
Tue, 02 Jun 1998 05:44:59 -0400

Jim Coleman, Sr. wrote:

> The main reason for changing from 3 string unison plain wire in the lower
> tenor section to 2 string wraps is that many scales have such a
> foreshortening of string length in that area that the tension drops
> considerably and the inharmonicity rises likewise. By changing to wound
> strings, the tension is increased, the inharmonicity is lowered and you
> can have a smoother transition across the break to the Bass section. I like
> to at the same time attach an auxiliary bridge stock to that tenor section
> in order to also shorten those wound strings to avoid too high tension.

Hi Jim:

I'm going to restring/rescale an old Knabe grand (#30126) which has an auxiliary
bridge for for the transition area to the bass which is behind the treble bridge.
Have you ever seen such an arrangement?
I won't have the piano in the shop until about August first so I don't have exact
measurements at this time, but I'm wondering if this auxiliary bridge might be
better off with plain wire.  It has tri-chord wound at this time.  It was restrung
about 25 years ago so I'm not sure how close to the original scale the current
wires are. I was wondering what you might do with such an arrangement.

Thanks,

Rob Edwardsen