What temperament is a guitar tuned?

Joe & Penny Goss imatunr@primenet.com
Tue, 2 Jun 1998 07:22:05 -0600

Whoa Neato Bill,
I do not understand how to use the numbers that you give. Could you give a
more detailed description? I think you mean to go to A4 then tune?? Why do
you give A2 and A3 readings ie. Would you be able to crunch the numbers and
give the tuning scale for a 6 string bass B E A D G C ? and a tenor Banjo?
Thanks and warm greetings Joe Goss

----------
> From: Billbrpt@aol.com
> To: pianotech@ptg.org
> Cc: CajunduTX@aol.com
> Subject: Re: What temperament is a guitar tuned?
> Date: Tuesday, June 02, 1998 5:29 AM
>
> In a message dated 6/2/98 4:08:26 AM Central Daylight Time,
>  John.Woodrow@aus.dupont.com writes:
>
> << A book on guitars that I was flicking through made the claim that a
guitar
>  is tuned as a Well Temperament, reflecting the period from which it
evolved.

>  Can anybody confirm or otherwise that a standard guitar tuning is a Well
>  Temperament. >>
>
> This may be the result of a common error that has persisted for nearly a
>  century.   Many reference books and texts imply or state that Equal
>  Temperament (ET) and Well-Temperament (WT) are synonymous but the two
are
>  actually mutually exclusive.
>
> The guitar's frets are laid out in a manner that would imply ET.  All
>  electronic guitar tuner's frequencies are based on ET. However, many
players
>  will tell you that once they have tuned  according to the elctronic
tuner,
>  they play some chords and "tweak" the tuning a bit to suit their own
>  preferences.  Many who do this are essentially converting the ET to a
WT.