Taming the 1098/impact hammers

Z! Reinhardt diskladame@provide.net
Tue, 2 Jun 1998 10:50:51 -0400

I have found that it was not a matter of how heavy the weight as it was
more a matter of where the weight is along the handle.  I got one with the
sliding weight from Schaff a couple of years ago, and I love it!  (It's
expensive, yes, but it paid for itself in no time flat.)  I found I could
get the control I was looking for by having the weight right down near the
head of the hammer for *delicate* jobs such as tuning the high treble on a
1098.  I suspect that a lot has to do with there being less handle to flex
between the head and the weight.  The less flex, the greater control.  Then
with having everything at close range, and the weight doubling as a nice
fat handle ... why, it was like doing precision work with a short chisel
and being able to keep your *business* hand close to the work, rather than
having to control the blade from several inches away.

Z! Reinhardt RPT
Ann Arbor  MI
diskladame@provide.net