More Scaling Questions

Tue, 02 Jun 1998 10:43:34 -0700

Rob,

I'm not Jim, but we did just finish a 7' 8" Knabe with three bridges. In spite of my
general dislike for copper wrapped tri-chord strings I did keep that configuration on
this piano. The performance was acceptable, but it did confirm all of the reasons why
I don't like them on pianos of this, or any other, size. We have another Knabe of the
same size and type. This time I will be converting that section to bi-chord wrapped
strings. The speaking lengths are much too short for plain steel strings. With the
bi-chords I can blend unison tensions, string impedances and inharmonicity much better
than is possible with tri-chord wrapped strings.

Del