Trouble with Treble (was Re: pianotech-digest V1997 #853)

Jim Coleman, Sr. pianotoo@IMAP2.ASU.EDU
Tue, 02 Jun 1998 13:57:40 -0700 (MST)

Hi "Z":

A plucked string will exhibit a lower pitch than a hammer struck string
because the amplitude excursion of the struck string is greater, thereby
increasing the tension which eventually normalizes. The Plucked string
gives clearer definition of sound. I never tune by plucking because plucking
does not settle the strings as well. However, I will pluck after I have
tuned a unison in the 7th octave to find out if I can improve one side or
the other of the unison.

Jim Coleman, Sr.