Harvey report: Rayovac update

harvey harvey@greenwood.net
Tue, 02 Jun 1998 18:58:31 -0400

Topically, this message can stand on its own merits for this group.
Coincidentally, it is relative to recent threads on Palm Pilots.

This is an update. Refer to the PTJournal, Technical Forum, 'Discoveries'
from February, 1994 for introduction and a fairly comprehensive, albeit
early report on this subject.

In the original Journal segment, I mentioned buying and trying the Rayovac
renewable alkaline system. Since that article, I have responded to several
snail-mail inquiries as to the results of using the system. Although not
very scientific, these recent findings caused some raised eyebrows for me.

The 'batteries' (sic) cells responded as advertised during my local tests,
except for a couple that simply refused to accept a charge. I believe they
were flawed out of the box. These things happen.

I became involved in increasing amounts of work far from home, and of
course needed to power all my 'road toys'. Since the recharger, although
quite small, was another thing to remember *and* carry, I abandoned the use
of the system altogether. I returned to buying my 'AA' and 'AAA' alkalines,
usually through my universal parts supplier -- Wally World.
[Sidebar] Actually, I try to spend no more than 48 cents per cell, and buy
whatever packaging comes closest to that -- whether it's a 24-pack of
Toshibas at Sam's, a case of Brand 'xxx' at Big Lots, or an 8~10 plus 2
free package elsewhere. I also suspect the two free bonus cells are not
ready for prime time, but that's another story.

Recently, while perusing some of the thousands of Internet sites dedicated
to Palm Pilots, I ran across a discussion about the use of... you got it...
the Rayovac system. One topic, that I had forgotten, was regarding the
charging parameters. The renewals, like car batteries and *unlike* Ni-cads,
enjoy and possibly benefit from partial discharge/recharge cycles. I
decided to give mine another try, but first had to find the charger!

I planned to use the existing charger and buy new cells, thinking that by
now they would be past a reasonable shelf life, leaking or who knows what.
I finally located the charger, buried under other ju... ,uh, valuable
possessions. The charger still held two 'AA' cells from whenever it was
unplugged. I don't know how long it was buried, but certainly a couple of
years. With nothing to lose, and two cells handy, I plugged in the charger.
The charge lamps flickered and extinguished. I thought that (a) my
suspicions were confirmed about cell life, or (b) I had just nuked the
charger.

I removed and tested the cells with a battery tester (w/built-in load).
They showed a full charge. I then put them in my ever-present
Mini-Maglight, and made the mistake of looking at the bulb while turning it
on (Ni-cad mentality at work).

Impressive! Based on those results, I was off to Wally World to buy more
cells, perhaps another charger (for the road). I then happened to find more
cells in a -- safe place -- where a lot of my stuff disappears, and tested
them *without* plugging them into the charger. They were all charged,
except for two. These I believe to be the original defects that Mr. Packrat
failed to dispose of.

There, a glowing testimonial of American technology at work. I tried to be
brief -- please no flames!

Relative: I have a couple of coffee cans with expended, one-use cells. I
need to call the local enviro-gestapo to determine the preferred method of
disposal.

Jim Harvey
harvey@greenwood.net
Greenwood (n): the largest city in South Carolina WITHOUT an Interstate