pitch lowering/strip mutes

DaleP34429@aol.com DaleP34429@aol.com
Tue, 2 Jun 1998 21:29:42 EDT

In a message dated 5/31/98 3:13:57 PM EST, fish@communique.net writes:

<< Have you ever used the Papps mute under the hammers like I do?
 The hammer will normally clear the mute in all but the smallest spinets
 and compact actions.  It's a little noisy at times but it is faster to
 insert than a wire mute.  Another thing it can do it go between two
 strings of the unison up in the high treble where you want to tune one
 string at a time and then tweak up the unison.  On note 88, I put it in
 to mute both outside strings, then mute center and left and then the
 other two and then listen to the unison.  Most of the time you are
 already finished!

Hey Warren,

Use the Papp the same way in the treble. Also, use a split mute from APSCO,
the handle makes a great strip inserter. Have a couple of regular wedges with
the wire handles tied with about 10 inches of nylon cord so when I get clumsy
I won't loose my religion trying to get the bottom board off of one of those
verticals with the faux grand pedal lyre. They seem to have some sort of
tractor beam in the bottom that sucks down mutes and other tools into the
black hole at the bottom. Sorry I won't see you in Providence, maybe at TSA in
Houston in October?

Dale Probst
Registered Piano Technician
Ward & Probst, Inc.