Fig Newtons ... thoroughly, irredeemably off topic

Susan Kline skline@proaxis.com
Wed, 03 Jun 1998 14:27:07

Hi, Jim H.--

I believe you were off the list at the time (getting a new computer?), but
if you check out the archive from last January, searching for "Newton" and
"Hunt", you will find ... er ... a _few_ entries. He was in Cuba at the
time. It didn't stop us from defining a "New Ton" as an arbitrary weight,
defined as the weight of two Steinway D's, to wit:
>Newton is the all new Imperial weights and measures. A New Ton is still
>heavy and equals the weight of two model D's.
>Steinway will modify their brochures to read Weight=1/2 a Newton.
>I wonder what fraction of a Newton Newton weighs?
>Shall we all start measuring weight by fractions of two Steinway D's?

Jon Page encapsulated our reasoning thusly:
>Subject: Re: Re; Newton Gate
>I bet Newton will think twice before announcing his departure and
>say he will search for posts containing his name upon return.
>That should be Newton's Second Law.

Not content with that, we did a little biological investigation into the
endangerment of naugas. It all got mixed up.

I think Avery's post is a little echo from back then.

Susan

At 03:24 PM 6/3/98 -0400, you wrote:
>Avery,
>
>I couldn't tell whether you were kidding with Jeannie or not, since she did
>clarify the word. It's even in your reply quote: "The Newton is a similar
>device...".
>
>I've never seen one, but believe the Newton is Apple's palm computer
offering,
>apparently with a loyal but now disgruntled user base. From my recent
>browsing,
>it appears that Apple is abandoning the Newton project, and some of that user
>base are switching over to Palm Pilot (or IBM's Co-Pilot -- same product,
>different logo on the case).
>
>At 12:26 PM 6/3/98 -0500, you wrote:
>>Jeannie,
>>   Just wondering. What 'Newton' are you referring to? Newton Hunt, Fig
>>Newton, which?  :-)
>>   Sorry. This was just another one of those "I couldn't resist" things.
>>
>>Avery

Susan Kline
P.O. Box 1651
Philomath, OR 97370
skline@proaxis.com

"The closest you will ever come in this life to an orderly universe is a
good library."
		-- Ashleigh Brilliant