Painted Steinway A

David ilvedson ilvey@a.crl.com
Wed, 3 Jun 1998 22:49:49 +0000

List,

I worked on an absolutely beautiful Steinway A, 1916 today.
Beautiful because of the art work painted on the case.  Flowery
borders with classical type pictures on the sides and lid.  The
Steinway & Sons fallboard decal was also painted on.  The owner
said a shop in New York told him the artist went by the name of
Blackmoor or something like that and that Steinway made some
number of these pianos.  This is white mahogany? which is pecan
in color at this time.  What a beauty...I wish I could say the
same for the sound...He had the action "restored" in the 1993
because of vertegri.  Steinway hammer, shanks and flanges but
the tone was gone, the hammers were huge...needs lots of filing
and juicing...He said he had the original shanks and flanges and
brought them out.  I installed and the original H, S & F and the
tone was there...The hammers were in good condition!  I lubed
with Protek and they freed up perfectly...we may put the old
H,S & F's back on if the Protek works in the long term...

Anyhoo, if anyone has any information on these hand painted
cases please post to the List or me privately

David Ilvedson, RPT
Pacifica, CA
ilvey@a.crl.com