stage truck

David ilvedson ilvey@a.crl.com
Thu, 4 Jun 1998 10:26:20 +0000

Beverly,

First remove the lyre! Then with some sort of block and a car
jack remove the treble side leg and remove the caster.  It is a
good idea to use black duct tape around the bottom of the leg so
it won't get damaged when on the truck in its cup.  Reattach
leg and repeat with bass side and then the nose leg.  Assemble
truck and align it with the legs and tighten bolts loosely so it
can be adjusted.  With help or with the jack/block lift treble
leg/piano and roll truck under and lower leg into cup.  Repeat
with bass leg and finally nose leg.  The end of the truck will
be up in the air a bit because of the weight of the piano on the
other two extensions.  Just put your weight on it to get it
under the leg.  Of course you will want to consider the risks
of being under the piano, but hopefully you attached the legs
well...Tighten up the truck bolts and reattach the lyre and
enjoy.

> From:          BKIMRPT@webtv.net (Beverly Kim)
> Date:          Wed, 3 Jun 1998 22:17:28 -0700
> To:            pianotech@ptg.org
> Subject:       stage truck

> Next week, I will have my first opportunity to install a stage truck.
> Although I've read Ben McKlveen's recent article in the March 1998 PTG
> Journal, I was wondering anyone had any additional helpful hints.
>
> I admit to being intimidated by the project and have recruited a
> colleague to help me (or vice versa, to be honest). However, any
> suggestions on favorite tools, tips or techniques will be much
> appreciated.
>
> Thanks to all, in advance.
> Beverly Kim, RPT
>
> P.S. If this topic has already been discussed, just refer to the
> archives.

David Ilvedson, RPT
Pacifica, CA
ilvey@a.crl.com