The OPEN Grand - was: Bad Kitty

Robert Goodale Robert.Goodale@nau.edu
Thu, 04 Jun 1998 17:53:19 -0700

Alan W Deverell wrote:

> The problem here is NOT the Cat - it's the piano owner.
>
> IMHO Grand Pianos should ONLY ever be opened fully to give
> performances (public or private) or to tune them.
>
> No cat would ever insult a GOOD pianist by PEEING on him or the piano.
>
> For practice just the first lid and adjust the music desk.
>
> Pianos opened for other than these 2 reasons are opened for
> ostentatious purpose. Perhaps the cat was indicating what it thought
> of ostentatious pianos (as the cat psychology commentator below
> suggested)
>
> Pianos opened for any other reason are at risk of collecting:
>
> Cat Pee
> Dust
> Leaves
> Excess moisture - liquids (coffee + tea + beer + wine)
> etc.
>
> Please add to this list based upon your experiences

Just for the humor of it all...

A piano professor here at the university, (a well respected doctorate of
over 20 years), likes the lid on his home Steinway "M" when he
practices. He just had the thing completely rebuilt inside and out.
Every time I come over to service it I end up collecting a fist-full of
fur. He says his cat likes to sleep on the soundboard (in the far lower
bass corner), while he practices. I guess kitty likes the vibrations on
the soundboard. He knows this is a bad thing but just can't resist that
cute little kitty "meow" face. The lid remains closed all other times.

Rob Goodale