WT on piano and guitar

Billbrpt@aol.com Billbrpt@aol.com
Fri, 5 Jun 1998 06:59:02 EDT

Dear List,

Regarding the raging conflagration over tuning a guitar in an alternative
 temperament, I again demonstrated the 1/6 ditonic comma WT for guitar figures
 I published on the List yesterday at a customer's home.

Upon entering the room, I noticed a high quality guitar case in the corner.  I
 asked if the customer also played guitar.  The answer was yes.  I proposed
 showing him how to also tune the guitar in a WT similar to what he enjoys so
 much on his piano.  He was interested and said he did not know such a thing
 could be done.

After my first rough pass on the piano,  I sat him down and dialed up the
 notes and the figures on my SAT.  I let him tune the guitar himself.  When we
 were finished, I said, "Strum a nice G chord".  He did so and his face
 expressed delight and surprise at the same time, his eyes opened widely.
 "Wow", he exclaimed, "Does that ever sound GOOD!"  I said, "Now while I finish
 tuning your piano, would you go off somewhere out of earshot of my piano
 tuning and play the guitar for a while, anything and everything you know, try
 out all possibilities."

When finished with the piano, I asked him how he liked it and the responses
 flowed for several minutes about the beautiful vibratos and the "warm" sound
 (as he described it) that the guitar had. He said it "even feels different".
 I said that is because of the Equal Beating vibrato that it now has.  Since
 the harmony is so organized,  the vibrating pulses from the guitar feel
 differently than the perhaps disorganized energy there was before.

We also tried some of the unison and octave combinations that concerned Tim.
 I have to say here and now that I stick to my position that the impurity of
 these is rather trivial and completely normal sounding for guitar intonation.
 They are not pure in ET either and these very slight adjustments to guitar's
 tuning do not significantly change the ability to play these intervals with
 acceptable musicianship.  Before looking at what is on a page and proclaiming
 "it wouldn't work", one should at least prove that it won't first before
 ridiculing the idea before the entire profession.  One could dothe same
 looking at a tuning program and emphatically exclaim, "Why there is a 10¢
 descrepency between the notes in your 6th and 7th octaves!   IT WOULDN'T
 WORK!!!" Try it first, then make your assessment, please.

This experience is very much like what many people have with their piano.  The
 customer told me he couldn't wait until his roomate got home so that he could
 show this to him, since he was also a guitar player and played even more than
 my customer. I gave them my E-mail address and asked for the roommate to
 report his findings to me.

As I walked out tomy car, I heard the strains of the 1st Prelude from Bach's
 Well-Tempered Clavier Music being played as I have yet to hear it in a
 commercially available recording:  the proper way, the right way, and yes, my
 way, in a true Well-Tempered Tuning.

As for Keith's assesment that the guitar sounded like the kind of vibrato he
 heard in a recording of pop music from the early 70's, these kinds of effects
 are sometimes very appealing to many people.  Consider that Jimi Hendrix
 turned the volume all the way up on his little amplifier of the 1960's and
 liked that distorted sound he got.  Thus the desire for that kind of sound was
 created and a whole new device, the "fuzz box" was invented.  Back in those
 days, there wasn't a pop band that did not have one.  I had one for my bass as
 well.

Although Keith made it clear that it was his opinion, the very condescending
 tone that his remarks had were clearly intended, in my opinion, to ridcule the
 idea that the guitar could, or should, be tuned in any way other than what he
 already knew how do do and always has done.  I have experienced the very same
 attitude regarding the tuning of pianos by many on and off the List.  It is
 the customers and artist's reaction that always give me positive feedback, so
 the resistance of the tuning profession only makes me keep coming back with
 more, again and again.

I'm off this morning to Louisiana to hear some Cajun Music with its unique
 language and Pythagorean intonation.  I'll be back Tuesday.  The guitar is
 easier to "fool around with"  than a piano is. I'd like to hear more people's
 opinion of alternative tunings for it, specifically the two WT's that I
 identified.

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin.