selling customers

Carl Root rootfamily@erols.com
Sat, 06 Jun 1998 07:44:46 -0400

Glenn wrote:

> 15% is HUGE!  Even Hollywood agents get no more than 10 percent!  I only get
> 5 percent or less on new piano referrals and there is no labor involved for
> the person paying me that commission!
>
> I'd counter with 5% and tell him you'll send work back his way for the same
> fee someday.  I might go up to paying ten percent if I really wanted the
> job.  I agree with your statement finding it odd to pay anything.  A
> commission on a "sale" is one thing but commission on a "job" . . . I don't
> know.

Each situation is different.  If a doctor sold his patient list to a new
doctor, it might surprise you to know that a year's income that is
generated by that list is considered standard.  If one customer calls
who I can't service right now, I'll ask you if you want to do the
tuning.  I may even give you the client.  No commission.

 On a large job, it is quite common to subcontract the job to someone
else, but you remain the contractor with oversight functions and pay
yourself accordingly.  Can the technician transfer a job or position to
you on a permanent basis?  If it's an institution, then I doubt it, the
same with a salaried position with a dealer, although in both cases,
everyone might welcome a recommendation.

Carl