selling customers

Jon Page jpage@capecod.net
Sat, 06 Jun 1998 12:24:27 -0400

At 07:58 AM 6/6/98 -0500, you wrote:
<snip
>  These are not big jobs he estimated about $450 for two pianos which
>seem to have some challenges about them. They' re church pianos.
>He'll keep the good pianos, and sell the bad ones to me.
>So, at this relatively small facility there will be two techs- which seems
>to me not a terribly good idea, nor one which gives any assurance that
> I'll really keep the work.

Sounds like you are doing more of a favor for him to take these off his
hands. If you do not need the work, you might be better off to bide your
time and wait for the church to call you. Is he giving you the job because
you are the best qualified or the one who will give him the most money?

This smacks a bit of the "piano broker' routine, where they will steer a
client towards the piano with the biggest commission rather than the
more suitable instrument for the client.

I give referrals all the time without expecting a percentage. I do it as a
customer service (I don't want certain jobs anyways). From these referrals
come repair work sent my way by these various techs.

Ultimately, you are the one to decide if this is an account you wish to have.
But if all you get are the ones he doesn't want to work on either, just say:
thanks for nothing.

Good Luck,

Jon Page
Harwich Port, Cape Cod, Mass. (jpage@capecod.net)