tail up or tail down

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Sat, 6 Jun 1998 17:59:20 EDT

<< List,

 In moving a grand piano up an incline, ramp or stairs, and assuming you
 have an open space at both the to and from points, is there a preference
 which end, keyboard or tail, should go first?  What works best and is
 considered safest?  And vice versa, coming down.

 At your convenience,

 Keith A. McGavern >>

A couple of months ago, my movers had to take a 6' Knabe up a flight of
stairs. I though they were going to take it one step at a time. But the main
guy, (who only weighs about 185 and is 6' tall), got behind the keyboard end
at the bottom, while two other guys took the tail. At the count of three, the
piano flew up the steps. (talk about muscles).

The guy at the bottom want to put his shoulders into the piano.  This actually
makes it easier to move the piano with the tail going up first, even though
the heaviest end is at the bottom.

Coming down, is is also easier to have the keyboard going down first.

>From the piano's point of view, it doens't make any difference.

Willem Blees RPT
St. Louis